A guide to turning up the volume in your library.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006


We Read Ebscohost’s ‘Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts’ So You Don’t Have To

(A professional tone befitting the topic at hand will accompany today’s post.)



For a long while I avoided the aforementioned EBSCOHOST librarian professional-resource database, because I thought the word “Abstracts” indicated that it would only tease me needlessly. I live at least 30 minutes away from my alma mater, which is my preferred professional research destination – and gasoline prices being what they are, I kept my professional reading to personal subscriptions and the blogosphere. I reasoned that I needed a good excuse to visit the school before the citations in LIS&TA would do me any good.

Much to my felicity, I discovered this week that many/most of the articles in LIS&TA are indeed full-text. So here are some of my favorite articles pertaining to popular music and librarianship. Some you may have missed the first time around; some may have just recently been published.

Note how fastidiously the citations have been rendered into near-MLA by my dear companion Citation Machine. Because the Information Superhighway could use more fine old-fashioned references. . .


Stephen Abram is a genius. It’s not just about podding. It’s not just about librarianship. It’s about life.

Abram, Stephen. "The Proof Is in the Podding." MultiMedia & Internet@Schools 05 2006: 22-24. EBSCOHOST. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. IPR Library. 08 08 06 .


Why didn’t we think of some of these??!? Sophie totally fizzles our street librarian cred.

Brookover, Sophie. "Adventures in Pop Culture." Library Journal 09 15 2005: 46. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2005 .


Exactly the sort of geeky artmeetsmusicmeetscommerce article we love at my music tech school. BTW, I’m in the middle of Rainbow’s End right now, and it’s creepin. Me. Out.

Goldsborough, Reid. "That's Advertainment." Information Today
03 2006: 33-34. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2006 .


This one is geared toward classical music, but the reviews of music search and metasearch engines are excellent. Not to mention the “Glossary for Internet Audio World” – a requisite.

Mattison, David. "Music to Soothe the Savage Searcher." Searcher 07 2006: 40-54. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2006 .


Great place for collection development, APU.

"MUSIC." Reference & Research Book News 02 2006: 243-250. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2006 .


So sue me – I find audio search technology fascinating. Might as well stamp UTTER DWEEB on my forehead and be done with it.

"Music Information Retrieval: an interview with J. Stephen Downie." Searcher 07 2006: 44-45. Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2006 .


This was the article that opened my eyes to the possibilities of Ipod checkout. I still haven’t opened the college administration’s eyes, but the service ideas here are excellent.

Stephens , Michael. "The iPod Experiments." Library Journal 04 2005: 22-25. Information Science & Technology Abstracts. EBSCOHOST. IPR Library. 08 08 2006 .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home