A guide to turning up the volume in your library.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

We Read Rolling Stone . . .

-- Article on innovative music marketing that talks about . . . ringtones and, oh, ringtones, and product placing of-- wait for it -- ringtones on TV shows.

“When the kids buy a ringtone, they are virally marketing to their friends . . . Placing songs on TV shows has also become a mandatory part of every marketing plan.” Grey’s Anatomy shares a music director with the O.C. – quickly becoming “key destination to place new music.” Sigh, I suppose I better start watching that one too . . . infrequently.

-- Newsbits: Slayer is a teen idol now? (They are seeing younger and younger little mosh-meat at shows.) Bono buys big shares of Forbes magazine. My Chemical Romance injured during a video shoot and canceling shows. Dude, they do their own stunts because being rock stars wasn’t getting them enough chicks.

-- Albums to watch for through the rest of the year: Justin Timberlake, Fergie, Evanescence, John Mayer, Lupe Fiasco, Diddy Jet, Ludacris, Beck, Taylor Hicks, Nas, Young Jeezy, The Game, Lady Sovereign, Snoop Dogg, Incubus, Modest Mouse, Maroon 5, Killers.

-- VMAs breakdown. I’m feeling pretty good because I’ve at least heard of nearly everyone they mention . . . In fact, the longevity of some of these ‘artists’ is kind of embarrassing. (“Slayer? Seriously??”) Confession: I didn’t watch the VMAs! but I’m sure I’ll catch one of the 80,000 reruns. Looking forward to the Ok Go Dance, unedited.

-- Ahh, finally, some clarification on Idlewild. The latest Outkast album is considered BOTH a record and soundtrack. (From the Andre 3000 interview.) That had me confused. But now I see.

-- More buzz about music in Second Life. “3D myspace” – I like that. Bands are doing Second Life pre-releases and more “live” concerts.

-- Longest ever Dylan article. The new album gets a review with one million stars – might be a good week to show No Direction Home if you can get the site rights.

-- Why doesn’t anybody like Jurassic 5’s Feedback album?!? They said my favorite track is the worst of the lot – Future Sound. Maybe I’m just a sucker for Three Dog Night samples.

-- The Harder They Come came out in Ultimate Edition – packaged with the CD soundtrack and more vivid cinematography. Fun.

Big MySpace Music news today. The rumbling you hear could be a oncoming rupture in the foundation of music copyright. We'll look at that possibility in-depth tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home