A guide to turning up the volume in your library.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006


I still haven't started receiving my magazine subscriptions for the library, yet. We have a lot of serials that are 'off the beaten path.' Apparently, the service provider has to individually track down the magazines and establish a new relationship with the publishers. Also, coax the printers to oil their Gutenberg press. Honestly, I'm not sure what's taking so long.

The last issue of PASTE came yesterday. Hollywood Reporter is going strong, but shall expire in time. Pretty soon, we'll be down to Tape Op. I was able to sneak over to Borders on my lunch break and check out Source, though.

Here's my observation: Source has a lot more substantial content lately! I was surprised and pleased. There wasn't a single crib tour. Instead, one article asked whether immigration controversy would divide the Hip Hop Generation. Another focused on another musician's side-projects -- fundraising to fight homelessness. The Jurassic Five profile took a serious look at why hip hop artists aren't touring as often these days. Finally, they featured Spike Lee's Katrina documentary. I didn't have time to read the Ludacris article, which is too bad, since he cracks me up.

Give the issue a glance -- it has some great articles to discuss with your teen group.

------

Here's a fun Halloween themed mashup contest. Your TAG could sponsor an entry! I didn't notice any age limits.
Free Culture USC is hosting a remix competition where you get your hands
dirty remixing George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead into a 5 minute short in
any style of your liking. The winner (or winning team) will receive a Neuros OSD open-source media player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home