Online Pop Culture Guerrilla Music Theatrics News
DJ Danger Mouse
Why you should know Danger Mouse:
1. He produced the 2nd Gorillaz album.
2. He did the Grey Album.
– a mashup of the Beatles White Album and Jay-Z’s Black Album.
3. The Grey Album had a fabulous music video promoting it.
4. His new group, Gnarls Barkley, did this year’s St Elsewhere album
- Rolling Stone Magazine’s “Lease likely summer success story”
– with “the first UK number-one single based solely on downloads.”
5. Now, St Elsewhere has been mashed up by Sound Advice
- St Elsewhere + Notorious BIG = the very popular “Gnarls Biggie” album
What Danger Mouse did THIS month:
Collaborated with anti-establishment street artist Banksy to punk Paris Hilton’s album debut.
There's even a hugely popular video on YouTube showing them replacing the CDs in person -- but it's slightly NSFW, so ask me about it in the comments if you want the link.
Why you should know Banksy . . .
EMI is mad at everybody. EMI hates mashups. EMI wants your IP addresses if you have downloaded any of the above mashups. Wait, I probably should have put that part first in this entry.
Only Wikipedia can keep up.
Speaking of which:
- Kudos to Wikipedia for vowing to avoid censorship in China.
- In honor of the news, here’s a recent debate between Wikipedia founder and the editor-in-chief of Britannica. It's good stuff.
- Apple has revealed the features of the new Itunes 7!
- There's a new remixing 2.0 music community.
- Tell me THESE won't be annoying at concerts.